Bigrigg Jubilee and Village halls


The village got its first 'Jubilee Hall' in 1935, and the village turned out for its official opening, unfortunately, hearsay says that the hall blew down in a heavy wind within a few years of opening. A further hall was built on the same spot which stood the test of time becoming a boat repair yard during the 70's and at the beginning of the 21st century it was knocked down and currently (2012) is a auto body work repair shop.

To return to home page, click here.


A new village hall was built on the field adjacent to the original Jubilee hall, the hall was financed partly by grants but there was a local 'bingo' collection every week over a number of years to raise the necessary funds to complete the building of the hall. It was officially opened in 1984 by Councillor Peter hughes, a plaque in the hall entrance details this.

Many events have been held both in the original Jubilee hall and later the new Village hall, dances, sports days, fun days, fireworks displays and more recently beer festivals (run by CAMRA)


Announcement of opening of Jubilee hall in1935





General view of the opening of the Jubilee Hall and the assembled villagers.

Does anyone know who these people are ?

This is a view of the use the old Village hall was put to, the view is of the boatyard in 2003

It is currently a car body repair shop (2015)

Plaque commemorating the opening of the new Village Hall in 1984

A view of the 'new' village hall, it was built by the village , funds being obtained though various fund raising activities and a weekly bingo. The weekly bingo was carried out by volunteers visiting every house in Bigrigg and Woodend selling a weekly bingo card which was then drawn at a special meeting.
This view is from 2003.

To return to home page, click here.