Here are a few maps showing Bigrigg and Woodend.
An old map showing the Iron ore mines of the time, it shows the original route of the 'turnpike road' to Egremont. It also shows some of the earliest houses in Bigrigg -some of which are still there including Summerhill, Springfield Road, Office Cottages and Orepit Cottages.
this is a hand drawn map which pre dates the coming of the railways, it looks like it is intended to show the areas of land required for the railways, including the routes thereof.
An early OS map (?) showing Bigrigg Moor and original route of main road .
The main road through Bigrigg used to cut across in front of what is now Office Cottages and past Orepit cottages heading towards Egremont. However, to enable quarrying to be able to be carried out this road was re-routed around Office and Orepit cottages in its current position in approximately 1898.
This hand drawn sketch shows the location of an anti aircraft battery which was positioned at the top of w1940-46
This hand drawn sketch shows the location of an anti aircraft battery which was positioned at the top of what is now the road to St Bees (formerly the Gunson Road). It was set up for anti aircraft defense during the second world war, the circular path around the site is still available, but the emplacement has disappeared.hat is now the road to St Bees (formerly the Gunson Road). It was set up for anti aircraft defense during the second world war, the circular path around the site is still available, but the emplacement has disappeared.
The soldiers who manned the gun were:
Sgt Bob Rafferty
A/C Larry Jarman
|Bigrigg - 1969 - map shows the old streets behind the Ship Inn which were cleared, so that people could be re-located to Egremont as part of the proposed Sellafield expansion programme.|
|For completeness, here's a map showing the renters for the gardens
etc around what is now Office Cottages.
|Again for cpmpletenesss, a map showing the field names for Tithe
purposes, I understand.dated 1840.